Monday, October 15, 2018

Black Magic Woman - chapters




When French Quarter sleuth, Wyatt Thomas learns the mother of Carla Manetti, his former girlfriend, has had a heart attack, he hurries to the hospital to check on her. What happens after midnight in the dimly lit hospital room sets the stage for two intertwined stories. Black Magic Woman is the introduction of mobster Frankie Castellano and also explores the potent magic practiced by Wyatt's dearest friend, voodoo mambo Mama Mulate. 


Black Magic Woman

 New Orleans has more ghosts than just about any place on earth. I realized as much when I awoke with a start from a vivid dream. Something I couldn’t remember disturbed me even as the final dreamy image faded.

My cat was licking my chin, and I realized why. Early evening, according to the clock by the bed, I’d been in a fitful sleep for more hours than I cared to count. After giving her a long stroke, I dragged out of bed and plodded toward the shower.

“Sorry, Miss Kisses,” I said while feeding her on the balcony overlooking Chartres Street. “I know you’re hungry.”

A nip of winter chilled the back of my neck as I scraped the cat food into her bowl. Noisy tourists, some already inebriated, passed on the sidewalk below. I tried to remember the purpose of the festivities as I returned inside to finish dressing.

Late December, football fans had already begun arriving in town for the upcoming Sugar Bowl at the Superdome. Mardi Gras in the Big Easy is the world’s largest block party. New Year’s Eve runs a close second. A lifelong city resident, I usually stayed home and out of trouble. Sometimes, I even succeeded.

The late afternoon sun shone through the window when I came down from my room above Bertram’s bar, not immediately remembering the fuss. As I grabbed an empty stool, Bertram saw me and winked.

He was polishing a glass as he held court with a half dozen football fans. Breaking away from the noisy argument about who had the best team, he ambled over with a mile-wide grin. He poured a glass of lemonade for me from a pitcher he kept beneath the counter.

“Where you been all day?”

“Working,” I said.

“Good, cause your rent’s past due.”

“Front me some more time. Business is a little slow right now.”

“Yeah, yeah,” he said. “Pay me when you can. I know where to find you.”

“Your business is booming. Who’s playing this year?”

“Who gives a damn? There’s no better customer than someone whose football team’s coming’ off a ten-game winning season. I guarantee I’ll run out of beer before the night’s over.”

Lady, Bertram’s collie was also enjoying herself, tail drumming against oiled hardwood when I reached over the bar and rubbed her head. Bertram poured himself a shot of Cuervo and quickly drained it. Forty-something, he had the dark eyes and complexion of a French Acadian. I was so used to seeing him gesture like a lunatic when he spoke I’d forgotten to wonder if he could still talk if his hands were tied.

When one of the tables began calling the hogs, I thought a riot would break out. Bertram raked the trapper’s hat off, thinning hair, mopping his brow with a bar rag. His little mustache twitched as he rolled his eyes and poured three Dixie pitchers.

“Right back,” he said. “Gotta fan the flames.”

Bertram returned with two empty pitchers, a handful of cash, and an even more giant smile than before.

“The party never ends,” I said.

“Amen to that, bro. You seen Mama Mulate since she got back from her cruise?”

I shook my head. Mama Mulate taught English at Tulane. She was also an authentic voodoo mambo. Some time ago, I had called on her when a potential client developed a problem he thought only the right spirits could explain. He was right. Mama had the answers to his questions, and the experiment had become an on-again, off-again partnership. She’d spent her summer vacation working as a rent-a-mambo on a cruise ship sailing out of New Orleans.

“She went to South Carolina to visit family when she returned from Jamaica. I haven’t seen her in six months.”

“She was here last night and banged on your door. You musta been someplace else.”

“Guess so,” I said, not admitting I’d been asleep and hadn’t heard her knocking.

“You hear about Carla’s mama?”

Carla Manetti was my sometimes girlfriend I hadn’t dated in over a year. Her mother was probably the best Italian cook in New Orleans. Carla had repeatedly accused me of liking her mother’s lasagna better than I liked her. Though it wasn’t true, I’d never had another girlfriend whose mom could cook like Mama Manetti.

“Something the matter?”

“Heart attack, I heard. They got her over in Oschner.”

“Severe?”

“Hell, bro, there ain’t no such thing as a good heart attack.”

“When did this happen?”

“I just found out. You going to see her?”

“I’d already be there if you’d told me sooner,” I said as I headed for the door.

***

The sun had set as my cab passed the old Metairie Cemetery; I barely saw the towering crypts and magnificent statuary. It wasn’t the only cemetery in town, just the most impressive. Lights of the French Quarter behind me beckoned as the cabbie let me off at the main entrance to the hospital.

A tired woman at the information desk provided directions to Mama Manetti’s room. I found the door ajar and entered without knocking. Distant neon flashing through open curtains briefly illuminated the dismal scene.

Carla was Mama Manetti’s only child. I paused in the doorway, watching as she held her mom’s hand. She’d changed little during our separation, her dark hair longer than before. She jumped when I touched her shoulder.

“Wyatt...”

“I came as soon as I heard. How’s Mom?”

Carla hugged me, burying her head against my shoulder.

“Asleep. We’ve had a long day. She finally passed out from exhaustion.”

“Then you must be beat. When did you get here?”

“Last night.”

Mama Manetti’s soft snores melded with the hum of medical equipment and told me she was fast asleep.

“You look beat. Let’s get coffee.”

“But what if Mom wakes up?”

“She’ll be fine till we get back.”

Apparently, having made the same observation and needing a shot of caffeine, Carla didn’t argue. We took the elevator to the cafeteria after telling the duty nurse where we were going. She waited at the table while I went through the line. She tore into the chicken and rice I brought her as if she were starving.

“I wasn’t expecting to see you,” she said, nibbling on a piece of bread. “How you been?”

“Tolerable. You?”

When she smiled, I remembered how bright her teeth were and that her eyes were a brilliant shade of green. Always thick and curly, her dark hair now sported a permanent. It somehow made her look younger than I’d remembered. Though not quite pretty, she had striking features that immediately attracted me and still did.

“You’re such a liar, Wyatt Thomas.”

“What?”

“I heard about your ex-wife dying and your romance with the runway model. Sorry, it ended so sadly for you.”

“I’m fine. Same old Wyatt.”

“You sure?”

“Battling a little depression, maybe.”

Carla grinned. “What’s new? You’re the moodiest person I’ve ever met. You aren’t drinking again, are you?”

“I fell off the wagon awhile back, but not for long. I’m on board again. I’ll be okay.”

“Wyatt, you could keep a team of psychiatrists busy for a decade.”

“Maybe I just need a pretty woman’s hand to hold.”

My words brought another smile to her face. “How many failed relationships have you had now? A thousand?”

I grabbed her hand and squeezed. “You know there’s never been anyone else but you.”

“Such a liar,” she said without snatching her hand away.

“What about you? Seeing anyone new?”

“Jim Watts. Every now and then, at least.”

“Who’s he?”

“A chemistry professor at U.N.O.,” she said.

Carla was the head librarian at U.N.O., the city’s university near Lake Pontchartrain. I couldn’t account for the momentary pang of jealousy her words invoked.

“Serious?”

“We’re sleeping together if that’s what you mean.”

“That wasn’t what I meant.”

“Then what?”

“Nothing, really. What have the doctors said about your mom?”

“They don’t know much yet. Aunt Beth is on her way from New Jersey.”

“Aunt Beth?”

“Mom’s sister. She married and moved away years ago.”

Seeing her cup was empty, I got up from the table. “I’ll get more coffee.”

I returned with a large carafe and kept pouring until we’d drank every drop of the dark coffee.

“Thanks for coming,” she said as we returned to the hospital room. “Mom still loves you, you know.”

“No, I didn’t.”

“You liar.”

I gave her no chance to settle back into the chair by the bed.

“Go home and get some rest. I’ll stay with Melissa.”

“You don’t have to.”

“I don’t have to do anything. I’ll be here when you get back.”

Too exhausted to pass on my offer, she hugged me and disappeared into the hallway.

It wasn’t just dim in the room anymore. Someone had turned out all the lights while we were gone, only the green glint of pulsating medical devices illuminating the room. I sat in a comfortable chair beside the bed, digital beeps and the steady drip of an I.V. soon lulling me to sleep. When a clammy hand touched my face, my eyes opened. It wasn’t so much touch as a mild surprise that sent a chill shuddering up the back of my neck. When soft light flashed in my eyes, I wasn’t sure if I was awake or still dreaming.

A shimmering image stood at the foot of Mama Manetti’s bed, lighting the dark room with a dull, blue glow. It was something not entirely accurate. When I blinked, it didn’t disappear. I tried to say something, but words clumped in my throat.

“Who are you?” I finally said.

“Someone who needs your help,” the ghostly image replied.

The back of my neck and hands had become damp from the room's chill. The pale specter was dressed in clothes from an era long past.

“Are you...”

“A spirit,” the flickering image replied.

“What do you want from me?”

“Redemption.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Yes, you do. You cursed me. Now, I am doomed to follow you forever. Unless...”

“Unless what?”

“Unless you lift the curse.”

“What curse?”

“The one you had the voodoo man place on me.”

He nodded when I said, “That’s not possible.”

“Oh, you cannot imagine how I wish it were not.”

“Who are you?”

The wraith reached toward me as his face began fading away into the darkness of Mama Manetti’s hospital room.

“Zacharie Patenaude,” he said, his words a dying whisper. “Have mercy on my soul.”

***

Sometime later, I awoke holding Mama Manetti’s hand. The morning sun had begun lighting a gray sky outside the hospital window. Melissa Manetti was sobbing, her face flushed as tears dampened her face. The door was still cracked, and someone shuffled past in the hallway outside the door.

“Melissa, why are you crying?”

“Wyatt, what are you doing here?”

“Carla was exhausted. I sent her home for some sleep and to change her clothes.”

Melissa glanced at the I.V. and wiped her tears with the hospital gown sleeve.

“How long have I been here?”

“Going on two days. You apparently had a heart attack.”

“I thought a mule had kicked me.”

“Pretty much what happened. Carla will return soon, and your sister Beth is coming from New Jersey.”

“Oh my God! I don’t like causing trouble.”

“No trouble. Now tell me why you’re crying.”

“I can’t,” she said, shaking her head.

“It’s all right. You’re in capable hands. You’re going to be okay.”

“That’s not why I’m crying,” she said. “I’m glad to see you. No one around lately to appreciate my lasagna.”

“Carla said she’s seeing a professor.”

“Poof! That one’s got no blood in his veins. He don’t eat Italian food. Says it’s too fattening, him.”

I squeezed her hand. “Then he must be crazy. At least Carla likes him.”

“That girl, she don’t know what she wants. One thing I do know. She liked you.”

“I like her too. Maybe it’s why I kept running from her.”

“She doesn’t think you do.”

I smiled. “Maybe not quite as much as your lasagna.”

“You two,” she said. “Dumb kids.”

“You’re pale,” I said, changing the subject. “Maybe I better call a nurse to check your vitals.”

“No, no! I’m okay. Papa was here for a visit, and I’m still shaking.”

I didn’t know Melissa’s age but guessed she was at least in her mid-seventies. Her father would be pushing a hundred if he were still alive.

“You must be on some heavy drugs. Sure, it wasn’t just a morphine hallucination?”

“He was here.”

“Your father is alive? Carla has never mentioned him.”

“Whatever they’re giving me is making my head spin. Doesn’t matter because what I saw was no dream. It was Papa, sitting right where you are now, holding my hand, just like you’re doing.”

I could see by her expression that whatever happened had profoundly affected her. Having seen my own spirit, I understood. Green lights on the instruments monitoring her vitals continued to flash as she stared at me. The red neon sign I’d seen through the window advertised a distant restaurant and had faded in morning’s light.

“What did he say?”

“He wanted to explain something to me.”

“Like idle chitchat?”

“No. Something I’ve never told Carla.”

“Tell me.”

Melissa’s eyes became dreamy, looking first at the ceiling and then at the green lights of her monitor.

“IO ero solo un bambino quando papà è morto.”

“Please, Melissa. I don’t speak Italian.”

“I was only a child when Papa died. Mama raised Beth and me. I barely remember how he looked.”

“Are you sure it was him? How do you know?”

“I just know. It was Papa, and he was so sad.”

“Why?”

“Because of something, he told me.”

“Tell me.”

“Mama and Papa were married in Italy. They were so young when they arrived here in New Orleans. Mama was pregnant with Beth.”

“They were courageous enough to come to the New World alone.”

“My grandfather was already in this country. He sent money.”

“That must have been...”

“Before the turn of the century. He was doing well, making a decent living. Grandmother had died in Verona. She never made it to America.”

Melissa started crying again when I asked my next question.

“What did your grandfather do?”

“Assassin,” she finally said.

“Pardon me?”

“He’d fallen in with the Black Hand.”

“Mafia?”

She nodded. “They were preying on grocers then, taking some of their profits. Grandpapa got Papa work with the same people. Poor Papa didn’t know what he was going into.”

“What was he getting into?”

“Murder,” she said, her voice cracking.

“Your dad was also an assassin?”

“No. They hung him for a murder he did not commit. That is why he was here tonight. He asked me to help him clear his name. Wyatt, what can I do?”

She grimaced, clutching her chest before I could answer. When her instruments turned red, three nurses and a doctor descended on the room. The young doctor pumped her chest until her vitals responded favorably, and then one of the nurses gave her a shot of morphine.

After watching them leave without saying a word, I stood against the wall, Melissa’s eyes closed, my heart racing as I pondered her near-death experience, her ghost story, and my own.

 

Chapter 2

 

Like Melissa Manetti, I was asleep when Carla returned. When she shook my shoulder, I opened my eyes. Unlike Carla, the older woman with her wasn’t smiling.

“You saved my life,” Carla said.

“No problem. You owe me.”

Ignoring my blatant hint, she said, “Wyatt, this is Aunt Beth.”

Beth looked like a slightly older version of Carla’s mom, with the posture of a West Point cadet, her hair inhumanly black through the miracle of some talented salon worker. Unlike Carla’s eyes, Beth and Melissa’s were obsidian. She finally smiled when I shook her hand.

“Thank you for staying with my sister.”

“No problem.”

“I have some things to discuss with her, so please excuse us.”

“Of course,” I said, backing out of the room.

Carla followed me into the hallway.

“Aunt Beth can be a little rude at times.”

“No problem. I’m glad I could help.”

“She booted me, too. Told me not to return until she calls. Can I give you a ride somewhere?”

“You sure?”

“I offered, didn’t I?”

She smiled when I said, “You haven’t seen my apartment lately.”

Not bothering to comment on my proposal, she led me downstairs to her old Volvo. We were soon driving on Veteran’s Boulevard toward the French Quarter.

“I love this part of town,” I said as we passed the Metairie Cemetery. “You’re the local historian. What’s the story on all the ornate graves?”

“You kidding me? You genuinely don’t know?”

“I wouldn’t have asked if I did.”

“The cemetery was the site of the Metairie Race Track. Horses worldwide raced here, and most of the local elite belonged to the Metairie Jockey Club. Very exclusive.”

“What happened?”

Carla’s eyes rolled as if she were dealing with an idiot. We’d passed the cemetery, the tall buildings of downtown New Orleans beckoning us, and cars passing on the nearby freeway.

“Charles T. Howard, the person that started the first Louisiana lottery, applied for membership to the club and was denied.”

“Why?”

“You live here. You know why and what I mean when I say he wasn’t from ‘old money.' No matter how much wealth he possessed, the members wouldn’t let him into their club.”

“Not much has changed.”

“Mr. Howard took it personally and promised he’d live to see the race track turned into a cemetery. No one knows how, but that’s what eventually happened.”

“Quite a story.”

“Look at an aerial photo of the cemetery, and you’ll see it’s the exact shape of the old race track. Mr. Howard has a prominent crypt and a controversial statue.”

“How so?”

“The statue of a man has its finger to its lips as if something nefarious might have happened.”

“Did it?”

“Tell me. You’re an investigator. I’m just a historian.”

“A gorgeous one at that,” I said.

“You need to stop coming on to me, Wyatt Thomas.”

“Why?”

“Because you have no intention of being faithful to any woman.”

“I never played around on you.”

“You’re such a liar.”

“Then I guess it’s no use asking you to come home with me tonight.”

Carla laughed aloud. “By dark, I’ll probably hate you again.”

“You never hated me.”

“Don’t get me started.”

“We were quite a couple. Things like that don’t often occur.”

“I have a new boyfriend. Remember?”

“Your mother said he has no blood in his veins.”

“So that’s what this is all about. You’re jealous because someone else likes me.”

“Not true. I remember all the incredible times we had.”

“Uh-huh! Your little ragdoll until someone prettier and sexier came along. Well, some men like me for who I am. Someday, you’ll recognize as much.”

“That’s the problem with you,” I said.

“What problem?”

“You’re smarter than I am, and never let me win an argument. I was always on the defensive.”

Carla shook her head, but her smile remained. “You never give up, do you?”

“Okay,” I said. “I’ll change the subject. At least for a few minutes. Tell me what you know about the hospital your mother is in.”

“Oschner?”

“Yeah.”

“It’s public information.”

“When it comes to N.O., no one knows more than you.”

“There you go again,” she said.

“I’m serious. How long has Oschner been at its current location?”

“Since the forties.”

“This century?”

“What are you angling at?”

“Nothing, really,” I said, not wanting to expound about the spirit I’d seen. “I’ve heard you talk about your paternal grandparents, not your mom’s parents. Why is that?”

“It’s personal.”

She glanced away from the road and glared at me when I said, “Because your grandfather was hung for murder?”

Carla slammed on the brakes, slowing so rapidly a passing car stood on his horn and waved a fist at us.

“Where did you hear that?”

“Don’t get us killed.”

Carla continued to glare, though her gaze refocused on the highway.

“Who told you that?”

“Your mom.”

“Impossible. Aunt Beth had to tell me.”

Traffic had increased, and Carla yanked the wheel to avoid an oncoming car crowding our lane. Her eyes suddenly wide, she locked her gaze back onto Veteran’s Blvd.

“I didn’t intend to distress you. Want me to drive?”

“That’s a hoot. You don’t even have a license.”

“Didn’t say I do, and your mom told me a story about your grandfather.”

“No way. She wouldn’t tell you and not me.”

“She thought she saw the ghost of your grandfather last night. Maybe the drugs. It’s irrelevant because it was still genuine to her and apparently painful.”

“What did she tell you?”

“First, keep your eyes on the road before you pile into the back of that truck.”

Carla popped her neck and then took a deep breath. “Okay, I’m concentrating. Now tell me about this ghost Mom saw.”

“She said your grandfather spoke to her. He told her he wasn’t guilty of murder.”

“No trial,” Carla said. “A mob hung him. He never had a chance.”

“Mob?”

“He wasn’t the only one. There was much political and social corruption then; the cops and local politicians bought and paid for it. The citizens finally took matters into their own hands.”

“And your grandfather was a victim.”

Carla had slowed to a creep, another driver behind us laying on his horn. With a screech of rubber and a neck-wrenching yank, she pulled off the road into a shopping center parking lot.

“What am I supposed to do?”

Before I answered, my cell phone rang. It was Bertram.

“How’s Carla’s mom?”

“Stable but still in the hospital. Carla’s bringing me to the city and is dropping me off.”

“You kiddin’ me! You bring her in to see me, you hear?”

 Carla stared at me as I stuffed the phone in my coat pocket.

“You have a cell phone? I thought you were a technophobe.”

“Someone gave it to me during my last case. I kind of got attached.”

“I see. Then you are driving now.”

“Nope! I still prefer public transportation. I do have a laptop.”

Carla glanced skyward, shaking her head. “Oh my god! The world is coming to an end.”

“Say, Carla, what was your grandfather’s name?”

“Vincento Pedretti. What difference does it make?”

“Just wondering.”

Forgetting about her grandfather, she eased back into the flow of traffic. We exited the off-ramp near the Superdome, soon tooling through the French Quarter toward Bertram’s.

“You’re not going to leave without saying hi to Bertram, are you? He wants to see you.”

“You know I have to get back to the hospital.”

“No, you don’t. Not until Aunt Beth calls you. You told me so. Remember?”

“Well...”

“Bertram will kill me if he knows you were outside his place and didn’t take the time to drop in and say hi.”

“You’re such a talker,” she said. “No wonder I’m not a virgin anymore.”

“Stop it. I wasn’t the person who took your virginity.”

Carla nodded. “Yes, you did.”

“No way.”

“As God is my witness, Wyatt Thomas.”

“Are you coming in or not?”

Without answering, she found a parking spot instead. We walked the short distance to Bertram’s, already crowded with rowdy football fans, even though it was still early in the day. It didn’t stop Bertram from sprawling across the countertop and hugging Carla when he saw her.

“I thought you told me you’d never be caught dead with this one again,” he said, pointing at me.

“A moment of weakness. How you doing, Bertram?”

“Like a gator in a chicken coop,” he said. “How’s Mama?”

“She scared the crap out of me. I hope she’ll be okay.”

Then, I noticed someone sitting at the bar, smiling as he listened to our exchange. When he pivoted on the stool, waiting for an introduction, Bertram obliged him. It was my old pal Eddie Toledo.

“Glad to hear about your mama. You know this person?”

“No, I don’t,” she said.

“I’m Eddie,” he said, flashing a Pepsodent smile and grabbing her hand. “Why waste your time with this loser?”

“Wyatt and I are just friends,” Carla said.

“The best news I’ve had all day,” Eddie said. “Bertram, bring this lovely woman something alcoholic.”

Eddie held a prominent government job, though his hair was too long. It didn’t seem to matter. His youthful looks and upbeat personality had propelled him through the ranks rapidly.

“I can’t,” she said. “I have to return to the hospital.”

“I hope she’s okay,” he said.

Eddie continued to hold Carla’s hand. She gently pulled it away after glancing to see if I’d noticed.

“The doctors said we’ll know more tomorrow. One of the nurses assured me she’ll be fine.”

“There you go, then,” Eddie said. “Nurses are always a day or two ahead of the doctors.”

“Hope you’re right about that.”

“Eddie’s the Assistant Federal D.A. here in the city. Don’t worry. I won’t tell him about all your heinous crimes.”

Carla gave me a dirty look that turned into a smile following Eddie’s comeback.

“She’s guilty of being beautiful. I see that much. At least have breakfast with me. A little cafe down the street does excellent French toast.”

“I don’t know,” Carla said. “Wyatt?”

“The loser can come along,” Eddie said. “I’ll buy.”

“With that offer, we better go,” I said. “He owes me at least three lunches, not to mention a Saints ticket or two.”

“Don’t listen to him, pretty lady. I’m the most generous person in town.”

When Carla glanced at Bertram, he gave her another hug. “Go on,” he said. “We can catch up later.”

We were soon out the door, a cold nip in the air, exacerbated by a chill breeze blowing down Chartres Street. It didn’t matter because it wasn’t far from Bertram’s to a cafe near Jackson Square.

The business was apparently dead, a man standing on the street hustling customers. Only five tables occupied the slate floor of the cafe housed in a row of old French Quarter buildings. They were all empty when the man seated us near the door. A trickle of tourists passed slowly on the sidewalk outside.

“Something to drink? Mimosa?”

“Coffee for me,” Carla said. “With lots of milk.”

“Make that two,” I said. “But black for me.”

“Kir Royale,” Eddie said.

“What’s that?” Carla asked.

“Chambord and champagne. Try one; you’ll like it.”

“Better stick with coffee,” she said.

They were both as hungry as I was, and we were soon feasting on eggs and cornbread hash. Eddie was working on his second Kir Royale, finally getting Carla to sip.

“Carla’s a fourth-generation Italian,” I said. “Her mother is the best Italian cook in New Orleans, maybe the world.”

“You kidding me? I’m from New Jersey. I grew up on Italian food,” Eddie said.

Carla turned in her seat until their knees touched.

“You like lasagna?”

“Not just like, I lust for it. No one cooks Italian like my mama.”

“Mine does,” Carla said.

“I think I want to meet your mother. I’m off today, so I’m slumming in the Quarter. Can I take you to the hospital after breakfast?”

“You can come with me if you're serious.”

Eddie held up his credit card. We were quickly tabbed out, Carla and Eddie on their way to Oschner as I opened the door to Bertram’s bar.

“Where’s Carla?” he asked.

“With Eddie.”

“You kidding me. You okay with that?”

“We broke up over a year ago.”

“That Eddie’s a mover, him.”

“They call him Fast Eddie for a reason. I’m going upstairs,” I said, yawning as I gave him a backhanded wave.

 

 

Chapter 3

 

Lost in a dream, I wrestled with a monster intent on killing me when the phone by the bed woke me. With my temples still throbbing, my eyes popped open as I grabbed the receiver.

“Wyatt, it is Mama. Are you busy?”

“Mama? How are you? Bertram and I were just talking about you.”

“You sound groggy. Did I wake you?”

“Just a nap,” I said.

“I came by last night and knocked on your door.”

“Sorry about that.”

“On a date?”

“Probably sitting on the balcony and didn’t hear you.”

Mama Mulate didn’t question my little white lie. “What are you doing right now?”

“Nothing; why?”

“Let’s go for a jog in the park. I didn’t get much running time on the boat this summer, and feel like I’ve grown fat and lazy. My body needs exercise.”

Mama Mulate had attended the University of South Carolina on a track scholarship. She’d continued running daily after graduation, her jogs more like lung-bursting sprints. She’d never be fat and was anything but lazy. Our runs typically turned into contests that she usually won.

“I’ve put on a little weight.”

“Oh? How much weight?”

“A pound or two.”

“You haven’t gained a pound since I’ve known you. No one your age is in better shape. Get your togs on. I’ll be there in an hour.”

She hung up the phone before I could argue. It didn’t matter because I needed to exercise more than she thought she did.

“Guess I need a new pair,” I said when my big toe protruded through the orange mesh of the lightweight shoe.

I was pulling on a sweatshirt when Mama Mulate knocked on the door.

She was resplendent in her pink jogging jacket and pants. Bouffant hair draped to her shoulders in curly waves. It didn’t hide her gold hoop earrings that seemed out of place for a run in the park. Her shoes were also pink. Her choice of clothing color seemed to paint her as a want-to-be athlete. I knew better. Once her fancy sweats came off, she left fashion behind, along with anyone trying to keep up with her.

We were soon pulling into City Park. When the weather was warm, Mama Mulate liked to drop the soft top of her old Bugeye Sprite. Even on sunny, fifty-degree days, it made for a chilly ride. The cold breeze whistling over the windshield made me glad I wore a sweatshirt and sweatpants.

Cool-weather didn’t worry Mama. Nearly six feet tall, she was in excellent condition and had the svelte and toned body of an Olympic athlete. She doffed her pink sweats as soon as she’d parked the Sprite. Dressed only in a small racing singlet and sports bra that revealed her firm stomach, she was already eliciting admiring glances from passing walkers and joggers.

City Park has thirteen hundred acres of towering sculptures, picturesque bridges spanning ponds, and bayous filled with ducks, geese, swans, and flowering lily pads. Massive live oaks had somehow survived ages of Gulf winds and severe weather. Their limbs, draping with Spanish moss and resurrection fern, bordered miles of paths and trails through beautifully landscaped surroundings. It would have made a British gardener jealous. We started slowly, Mama Mulate quickly increasing the pace.

Mama was a competitor and hated to lose. Something she rarely had to worry about from me. Today was different. Three miles into our run, she stopped to tie a shoelace. I didn’t wait for her to finish, tearing away at a lung-bursting clip. Mama responded to the challenge, racing after me.

Though I was surprised to find out why, I was up to the task. I could hear her footsteps behind me. Though not turning to look, I sensed she was running faster than I was. With two miles to go, I drew on every ounce of strength. It wasn’t enough.

For the last mile, we ran flat out, side-by-side, crossing our imaginary finish line together. Mama was laughing when she hugged me.

“That was so much fun. What got into you?”

My heart continued to race, breathing coming in short bursts. Before I could answer her, the clouds opened up with an impromptu rain that sent us sprinting for her Sprite. We quickly raised the soft top before getting thoroughly drenched. Neither of us spoke as she motored toward the Quarter, grinning and reflecting on our run as the rain beat down on the car’s soft top. She finally glanced at her watch.

“We covered that last mile in five minutes flat. You are a pretty good distance runner.”

“I ran cross-country and 1500 meters at L.S.U.,” I said.

“You never told me that.”

“You never asked.”

Mama reached across the stick shift and kissed me on the mouth.

“You’re so damn secretive,” she said. “Maybe that’s what I like about you. What are your plans for the day?”

“Don’t have any.”

“No hot date?”

“I told you, I’m not seeing anyone.”

She stared at me for a long moment. “You always have at least one woman waiting on your beck and call, usually two.”

“It’s different now.”

Mama put her palm on my forehead. “I don’t think you’re lying. Are you feeling all right?”

“I’m fine.”

“No, you’re not. You’re still depressed about Kimi and Desire.”

My ex-wife Kimi had recently succumbed to breast cancer. Desire was a beautiful runway model I’d met shortly after that. Our relationship had turned disastrous. I realized it was part of what was causing my depression.

“How do you know about Desire? You were on your cruise.”

“Bertram told me. He’s an old gossip, you know.”

“No kidding,” I said.

“I’m off work for today. Come home with me. I have gumbo simmering on the stove.”

“I’m wringing wet from sweat and rain and don’t have a change of clothes.”

“I have a closet filled with castoffs from ex-boyfriends. You can shower in my spare bathroom. I won’t even peek in on you.”

“Maybe I’d like it better if you did. Just old clothes and a bowl of gumbo, huh?”

What else did you think I meant?”

“Don’t know. You just got me thinking.”

“Oh?”

“That maybe it’s time our business partnership took on a more personal side.”

Mama shook her head. “You’re not as depressed as I thought. Maybe I better drop you at Bertram’s.”

“Just kidding,” I said. “I’ll settle for a shower, clean clothes, and that bowl of gumbo.”

“And a little talk about your depression,” she said.

It doesn’t just rain in New Orleans. As often as not, it comes down in bucket loads. It was doing that as Mama headed down Elysian Fields toward the Central Business District. Her two-story house was in an old neighborhood not far from the river. Since she didn’t have a garage, we had to dash for her covered porch. We may as well have strolled because we were both drenched as she fumbled to open the front door.

“You take the bathroom at the end of the hall,” she said, pointing as she ran up the stairs to her bedroom.

I was standing naked by the shower, waiting for the water to warm up, when Mama opened the door without knocking and threw me a towel.

“There’s a bathrobe hanging on the door hook. I’ll see you in the kitchen after your shower,” she said, shutting the door behind her.

I tried not to think about Mama’s impromptu visit as I stood beneath the steamy shower. She was sitting at her white enamel kitchen table when I joined her. Her white terrycloth robe matched mine, her hair still damp. The smell of strong Creole coffee wafted from the pot on the stove.

“Why are you grinning?” I said as she poured me a cup.

“Nice tush,” she said.

“Never knew you liked peeking.”

“I wasn’t peeking; I was ogling.”

“I see. I thought this was only about clean clothes and a bowl of gumbo.”

“You don’t have to buy everything you look at in a store window.”

“Not even a test drive?”

She let my comment pass. “The run was what I needed. Are you feeling better?”

“Much better, and this is the best coffee I’ve ever tasted.”

“Wait till you try my gumbo.”

“If I know you, it’ll be the best I’ve ever had.”

“Maybe not that good. I think you’ll like it.”

Mama stood on her tiptoes, reaching for bowls in her cabinet.

“Nice tush,” I said.

Although she didn’t turn around, I could tell she was smiling.

“One of these nights, we should get it on, though not tonight. After we eat, I want you to tell Mama what’s troubling you.”

“It’s not that serious.”

“I think it is.”

“How would you know?”

“Maybe I can read minds.”

“If you could do that, you’d slap my face.”

She slapped my face anyway, though playfully. “Why, Mr. Butler, you are no gentleman.”

“And you, Scarlett, are no lady,” I said.

“You got me a job, I guess you know,” Mama said, changing the subject again.

“Oh?”

“The movie producer you worked for while I was on my cruise.”

I’d recently investigated a series of deaths at a monastery south of New Orleans. The man who had hired me produced movies in Louisiana.

“Quinlan Moore?”

Mama nodded. “He wrote a book when he was in college. He’s hired a writer to adapt it into a screenplay that takes place in New Orleans.”

“Now I remember. He wanted to jazz up the script by adding elements of voodoo. I gave him your name,” I said.

“He’s hired me as a consultant. We are meeting at Bertram’s tomorrow, and I think he also wants to hire you.”

“He hasn’t called me.”

“He said he’d already talked with you about it.”

“Maybe,” I said. “With this business of ghosts, my memory is a little hazy.”

“Ghosts?”

“Long story,” I said.

“Then eat your gumbo. We’ll see if we can solve your spirit problem when our stomachs are full.”

We devoured the delicious gumbo, Mama giving me a second helping without asking or taking no for an answer. After topping our coffee, we listened to the storm roaring outside.

“Where are your cats?” I finally asked.

“Oh shit!” she said, hurrying to the back door. “I left them on the porch. With all this rain, they must be ready to kill me.”

When Mama opened the back door, her three cats, Cliffy, Bushy, and Ninja, came running in. Cliffy was an orange tabby, Bushy a white Persian, and Ninja solid black. When my first cat died, I’d rescued Ninja from the pound, and Mama had fallen in love the moment she saw him. When Bertram gave me Kisses, a clone of my deceased cat Bob, I’d given her Ninja. The little black cat remembered me and hopped into my lap.

“Maybe I shouldn’t have taken him from you,” she said.

“He loves you and is perfectly happy here.”

The rain continued falling, though now even more complicated than before, sharp drops peppering the roof and windows. When thunder shook the old house, all the lights went out. Nonplussed, Mama lit a candle on the kitchen table.

“Damn generator for this neighborhood! Lightning zaps it at least three times every year. Good thing I have lots of candles.”

We sat in darkness, lighted only by the glow of a flickering candle. The rain on Mama’s roof began sounding more frightening than soothing. Ninja had fallen asleep in my lap, Bushy and Cliffy having disappeared into the recesses of Mama’s large house.

“What now?” I said.

“Not me; you. Tell me what’s troubling you.”

“I’m not sure.”

“Yes, you are. Tell me.”

She was right, and I only hesitated a moment before beginning my story.

“I must be getting old. Nothing used to upset me. Now everything does. My blood pressure’s through the roof.”

“Have you seen a doctor?”

“I don’t have one.”

“Let’s check it. I have a meter.”

Mama soon had the instrument strapped to my wrist and grinned when she checked the results.

“You no more have high blood pressure than a man on the moon.”

“Maybe not, though I feel as if I do.”

“You’re becoming a hypochondriac,” she said.

Mama went to the stove and started a teakettle to boil.

“Let this simmer awhile, and then drink it when it cools,” she said.

“What is it?”

“Flor de Jamaica. Known here as hibiscus tea. Drinking three or four cups a day lowers blood pressure.”

“You just told me I don’t have high blood pressure.”

“Doesn't matter. Hot hibiscus tea sounds good on such a stormy night.”

“Pretty tasty,” I said, taking a sip when she handed me a cup.

“And it doesn’t have the sugar calories from all the lemonade you drink.”

“It hasn’t hurt me yet.”

“Have you had your blood sugar tested?”

“I’m okay. High blood pressure and sugar aren’t my problems.”

“Then what is?”

“I’ve had a case of the nerves for a while now, and last night I saw a ghost.”

“ Real ghost, or were you dreaming?”

“Not sure. I was at Ochsner visiting Carla’s mom. She had a heart attack. I stayed with her so that Carla could go home and get some sleep.”

“Seeing Carla again?”

“No,” I said, shaking my head. “Just friends.”

When the wind rattled the windows, the candle flickered. Mama poured water for my tea.

“Tell me about this ghost you saw.”

Without opening his eyes, Ninja changed positions in my lap. I rubbed his shoulders and sipped the tea. The storm and dimly lit kitchen caused me to remember with vivid recall the moment I’d seen the specter.

“I was asleep by Melissa’s bed when something like a damp sponge touched my cheek. I opened my eyes to something flickering in front of me.”

“Are you sure you weren’t just dreaming?”

“I was awake.”

“What was it?”

“A man.”

“Did you recognize him?”

“No. Someone in his thirties, dressed in what appeared to be a period costume. Like an actor playing the part in a movie about old New Orleans.”

“Did he speak to you?”

“He said I’d placed a curse on him, and he was doomed to follow me for eternity unless I lifted the curse.”

“And you didn’t recognize him? Was the encounter so short that perhaps you don’t quite remember what he looked like?”

“I remember. His eyes and hair were coal black, his nose prominent, though more regal than grotesque. His clothes looked well made, probably expensive. He had the hands of someone who had never done manual labor.”

“Did he tell you his name?”

“Zacharie Patenaude.”

“What else?”

“That’s all, but not the strangest part of the story.”

“Then what is?”

“He spoke French, and I understood every word he said.”

“What’s so strange about that?”

“I know a little Cajun French, but that’s about it. The apparition was speaking traditional French, not Cajun.”

“How do you know?”

“I just do. I know this is all confusing because it makes no sense. The ghost seemed familiar as if I’d known him from someplace. Though I’ve searched my mind, I can’t remember from where or if I ever actually did.”

“His clothes were from a different era?”

“Pre-Civil War, I’d say.”

When lightning flashed through the window, I saw the unbelieving look on Mama Mulate’s face. Ninja shifted in my lap again. Opening his eyes, he stretched and then jumped to the floor.

“You’re right. This all sounds strange.”

“And it got even stranger the next morning when I talked to Melissa.”

“Stranger than what you just told me?”

“She was crying and had also seen a ghost.”

“Your ghost?”

“The ghost of her father. Her grandfather brought her parents from Italy and got his son  a job with the Black Hand.”

“What’s that?”

“Same as the Mafia now. A mob broke her father out of jail and hung him because they thought he was a killer. She said her father’s ghost begged her to help clear his name.”

“You do have problems,” she said. “Now I’m almost sorry I offered to help.”

“It’s okay. This is my problem. There’s nothing you can do.”

The storm continued, wind and rain pounding the windows and thunder shaking the frame house with increasing intensity.

“Maybe there is. Have you ever experienced an induced trance?”


###





Born near Black Bayou in the little Louisiana town of Vivian, Eric Wilder grew up listening to his grandmother’s tales of politics, corruption, and ghosts that haunt the night. He now lives in Oklahoma, where he continues to pen mysteries and short stories with a southern accent. He authored the French Quarter Mystery Series set in New Orleans, the Paranormal Cowboy Series, and the Oyster Bay Mystery Series. Please check it out on his Amazon author page. You might also like checking out his Facebook page.



No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...