Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Rain in Spain

This is the wettest year in Oklahoma history, following on the tail end of a five-year drought. Yes, we needed the rain but I am ready for a stretch of dry weather. Yesterday, I put a picture of my house's rain gutter on my blog, Just East of Eden. There are seven corn plants growing in the gutter and two of them already have sizeable ears of corn on them.

My dogs have houses but they also have a lean-to that they like lying under. The cedar shavings beneath it are all soaked and moldy. I noticed when Lucky and Patch both developed red, runny eyes. Eyewash has taken care of their optical problems and this weekend, if it stays dry until then, I'm going to rake out the remainder of the shavings (Velvet has already gotten rid of most of it) and replace them with a fresh batch.

All is not bad and I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into my own homegrown gutter corn. Eat your heart out, gardeners of the world. - Eric Wilder

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...