Monday, August 3, 2009

Mortals Such As I

Marilyn and I took my Dad to Pearl’s for brunch recently. He has Alzheimer’s and sometimes has good days, sometimes bad. Hey, it’s real life.

Fall is my favorite season, maybe because I was born in October, the day before Halloween. I was listening to a radio program and the lady announcer said that she and her family love Halloween, but not the supernatural or satanic aspects of it.

There are no satanic aspects of Halloween but there are many supernatural, ghostly and other-worldly facets of the holiday. Like life itself, there are components of the holiday which we can never explain.

My Dad’s Alzheimer’s for instance, while devastating to all involved is something very natural, but something mere mortals, and certainly not I, are ever likely to understand.

Gondwana

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...