Tuesday, December 24, 2019

The Night Before Christmas - NDN Style




I don't know who wrote this (unknown) but a very good friend of mine, Cindy Mae Lopez, sent it to me and I love it! Hope you do too because it's too good not to share. Merry Christmas to you all!



The Night Before Christmas - NDN Style

Twas da night before Christmas and all through da hogan

not an eyelid was shut cuz no one was sleepy

The Wal Mart bags were hung by da fire so neat

Hopin' soon Hosteen Nick would fill em up w/ Shasta colas

Da chillren were nestled all snug on their sheepskin beds

While visions of frybread men danced in their heads

With Masani’ in her kerchief and my hair braided so tight

We turned up da scanner to entertain us tonight


Then all of a sudden a very loud crash we did hear

Da rez dogs started barking but that juss da norm round here

Da moon on da breast of da new fallin snow

Gave da luster of mid-day to my rez runner car below

When what do my NDN brown eyes should appear?

But an NDN sleigh and eight tiny reindeer!!

With a little Rez driver so stoic and quick

I knew in a frybread moment it must be Hosteen Nick!!


More rapid than a Rez baller da reindeer they came

And he pointed with his lips and called dem by name!

"On Fancy Dancer! On Roast Mutton! On Thomaaas and Victor!

On James! On Ernie! On Jacob and Edward!" (Shish)…

Shhhh. Land beside da hogan quiet for good reason

We have to be careful it's deer hunting season...


Da stickers on his sleigh read "I love mutton"

Another on his ride said "My other ride is a ford pickup"

Dah one in the middle said in big red letters "NDN Power"

There was duct tape and bailin wire holdin it all together

When da hogan door flap opened I just hung my head

For I just finished off his mutton stew and frybread

He was dressed in full jury from his head to his red mocs

He was fully decked out right down to his bell covered mocs!!!


His huckleberry eyes twinkled and his bun waz like WOW!

You have to see it for yourself he was jus.... SOMEHOW!

Da stump of his peace pipe he held tight in his teeth

And smoke signals circled his head like a keshmish wreath

His forehead was kinda greasy and he was "NDN" size

He had a commod bod only a Skin could recognize.


He spoke not a word just flashed his tribal census ID

He left a block of a cheese and a box of cornflakes under da tree

He left sum pinons an blankets and rezbandz CDs

A bag of beans and da new Aces Wild CD! (hoka!!)

Then he pointed with his lips and gave a big hardy AAAYE!!

And he danced out da door and jumped on his sleigh..


I heard him exclaim as he flew outta sight

"Round Dance hard my red chillren and Round Dance tonight!!!

AAAAye!!!


###



Born near Black Bayou in the little Louisiana town of Vivian, Eric Wilder grew up listening to his grandmother’s tales of politics, corruption, and ghosts that haunt the night. He now lives in Oklahoma where he continues to pen mysteries and short stories with a southern accent. He is the author of the French Quarter Mystery Series set in New Orleans and the Paranormal Cowboy Series. Please check it out on his Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo and iBook author pages. You might also like to check out his website.

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...