Saturday, September 12, 2009

Big Billy's White Bean Chicken Chili - a recipe

Several years ago, I sold a geologic prospect to a Dallas company. Much as it is now, times in the oil patch were tough. Part of the requirement for buying my prospect was that I had to help them “promote” it to the industry. They paid my airfare and expenses, and their engineer Don and I spent almost a year traveling all over the country trying to sell it. We never quite accomplished our goal.

After a day of showing the prospect to various Dallas companies, landman Charlie and I visited a dark Texas bar to unwind from the stressful day. He thought I was crazy when I heard a booming voice in the darkness and I said, “I know that voice.”

It was a friend of mine holding court at the bar. I hadn’t seen him in ten years, but no one on earth sounded like him. He was big, six four, three-hundred pounds and his voice was as deep and melodious as any television announcer was. His name was Big Bill Boorhem.

We renewed our friendship and he subsequently bought a prospect from me and drilled nine shallow wells on it. He and Kathy, his significant other, moved to Seattle on their sailboat, and then back to Texas. When Anne became ill with cancer, they would come up from Texas, cook for us and generally try to help us keep our spirits up.

Bill owned a restaurant for a time in Dallas called Suds and Duds. He knew many great southwestern recipes and loved “Austin” music.

Bill, alas, didn’t live much longer than Anne, succumbing to lung disease. No, he wasn’t a smoker. Here is one of his recipes that I recited to my Mother over the phone and she returned to me sometime later in a letter.

Bill, like me, loved beer. I got him to drinking brewpub beer and he became somewhat of a “beer snob.” His favorite was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I’m telling you this because I know you will love his recipe. When you are having your first scrumptious bowl, pop the top on a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and toast Big Billy for both of us.

Big Billy’s White Bean Chicken Chili

1 ½ lbs chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 large cloves minced garlic
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp salt
3 cups chicken broth
1 lb white beans, cooked and drained
1 large onion, diced (about 1 ¾ cups)

Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add oil, onion, celery, chicken and salt. Sauté until the onion is transparent and chicken begins to brown. Add remaining ingredients.

Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.

Top with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkling of cheddar cheese, and sliced green onions just before serving.

Louisiana Mystery Writer

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...