Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Spirits of the Night


Twenty days have passed since I saw the two ghosts cavorting on the street beside the creek that cuts through the Tall Oaks II addition in Edmond, Oklahoma. I look for them every time I walk, including the evening of the Autumnal Equinox, and have not seen them since the first occasion.

There is a large tree beside the creek and I noticed the next day during my walk that there is an old tree house in it. It has likely occupied its place in the tree for many years because, to my knowledge, there are no children living in any of the nearby houses.

I usually sit at the pool behind my house when I finish a walk, cooling off and playing with my two pugs. Darkness occurs now before eight and it is often well past that time when I give the pups a treat and go inside. Last night, I heard something in the alley behind my house – a sound that I couldn’t identify.

At first, I thought it was a large cat. I walked back toward the alley but the sound didn’t recur. I can’t be sure, but it was like a Boy Scout trying to emulate an animal to convey a signal through the darkness to a nearby friend. Maybe it was, but no boys, or children, live behind me in that direction.

Western Oklahoma City is mostly flat and has few trees. This changes rapidly as you approach Edmond. The town is situated on hilly stretch of land, dissected by many creeks, some small and some large. Many tall trees and lots of flora grow in and around Edmond, especially around the creeks. Elevations can change a hundred feet or more in a short distance and Permian sandstone outcrops in many places.

Wildlife abounds in the largely undeveloped areas around the creeks. Residents commonly see foxes, skunks, opossums, rabbits, squirrels, hawks, owls and even deer. Having assimilated into the neighborhoods, these wild animals roam free at night, eating cat and dog food – and maybe an occasional cat or dog.

Are there ghosts that also haunt the creek beds? Haunting may be the wrong word. I believe there are spirits that wander the neighborhood. I have seen and heard them, but it is my opinion that they are benevolent and mean no harm to anyone. Until I catch a picture of them with my trusty digital Nikon, you’ll just have to believe me.


No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...