Monday, January 18, 2010

Hanging With the Old Man








Growing up in the fifties, I had a normal fifties-style relationship with my dad. Simply put, he provided the money to pay the bills but spent little personal time with Brother Jack and me. Times have changed. As he approaches ninety-one, I try to take him somewhere with me at least once a week.

Yesterday, we had chips and dip at Louie’s on Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City. The weather was nice, in the fifties. Joggers, skaters and bicyclists maintained a steady stream of traffic outside the restaurant on the jogging trail that encircles the lake.

The crowd was raucous as they watched the Vikings slaughter the Cowboys in one of the NFL playoff games. Most Oklahomans root for the Cowboys but they have a soft spot for the Vikings because Adrian Peterson, their wonderful running back, played for the Oklahoma Sooners. Here are a few pics from the excursion.

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...