Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mavis' Fried Okra - a recipe

A year or so ago, I had a heart scan to detect for plaque in the arteries. Amazingly, my heart was clearer than 99% of the people in my age group. This is amazing because I had fried food literally ever meal until I left home at seventeen to go to college.

My mother had a good heart, as does my ninety-year-old father and sixty-five-year-old brother. I guess it all comes down to genetics. If you are predisposed to building plaque in the arteries of the heart, then you can eat steamed broccoli every meal and will probably still develop plaque. My advice? It probably won’t matter much if you binge occasionally. If you decide to take my very unhealthy advice, you might try fried okra, one of my personal favorites, and one that qualifies as southern comfort food.

My mom fried okra at least once a week because it was cheap, tasty and filling. Here is a simple recipe for the totally awesome southern fare.

Mavis’ Fried Okra

Ingredients

10 pods okra, sliced in ¼ inch pieces
1 egg, beaten
1 cup cornmeal
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup vegetable oil

Directions

Soak okra in egg for 5 to 10 minutes in a small bowl. Combine cornmeal, salt, and pepper In a medium bowl. In a large skillet, heat oil over a medium flame. Dredge okra in the cornmeal mixture, coating evenly. Carefully place okra in hot oil; stir continuously. Reduce heat when okra first starts to brown. Cook until golden. Drain on paper towels. Enjoy.

Eric'sWeb


No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...