Thursday, October 8, 2009

Gnomes, Ghosts and Other Spirits

Fall has come early this year, the nights in the fifties. I got home from work early, intent on walking before it got dark. I almost made it.

It rained yesterday and today, the gloom palpable as I left my house and began my walk through the neighborhood. My normal course is about five kilometers in length and I usually complete it in around fifty minutes. Tonight, trying to beat the darkness, I was moving at a faster clip.

The area where I live is hilly and dissected by several creeks. A few weeks ago, near the hollow where the creek nearest my house goes beneath the road, I saw what I believe were two spirits of the once-human variety. They carried a dim light and, at the time, I thought they were boys.

I have had lots of time since seeing the two spirits to reflect on what I saw. The hour that I saw them was near darkness. Perhaps my eyes were playing tricks on my mind. Maybe! I have watched for the two spirits every evening when I walk past the creek but have seen nothing – at least until tonight.

It was dusk when I reached the ghost creek. I was thinking about something else when I glanced up, glimpsing as I did the rapidly fading outline of a dark little gnome. I quickly decided that my eyes were again playing tricks.

Almost three miles into my walk, I was breathing through my mouth. The expelled air turned suddenly white, as if the temperature had suddenly dropped twenty degrees. The drop in temperature and white breath disappeared soon as I crossed the creek.

Did I see a spirit, or maybe a ghost? I don’t know. The front door of my house was open as I walked up the slight incline toward it. Call me crazy, but I think I saw the image of the gnome staring at me through the storm door.

Are there ghosts in Edmond, Oklahoma? There are ghosts everywhere but most don’t believe it, even after seeing one with their own eyes.

Eric'sWeb

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...