Thursday, November 5, 2009

Garden Spirits

Saturday is my friend Terry’s birthday. Tonight, Terry, Jerry, Ed and I had drinks at Louie’s and then all of us except Ed went to my house where Marilyn had baked a birthday cake for Terry. The discussion turned to the topic of ghosts and spirits.

Terry deals with dead people all the time because he runs a private autopsy service. He has never seen a ghost or spirit. My contention is that spirits abound among us, but you must be receptive. Marilyn offered this story while we were talking.

“I was working in the backyard when I turned to see a smiling man.”

“You are doing a great job,” he said.

“I wondered how the man got into the backyard and when I started to ask him, he flashed away, into so many vapors.”

The person she thinks she saw was Randy, the man that had sold the house to me and then had committed suicide three days later.

Terry and Jerry departed after helpings of dinner and chocolate birthday cake, neither convinced of the existence of spirits. Do they exist? Oh, yes.

Fiction South

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...