Friday, November 20, 2009

Late Autumn Spirits

It was almost dark when I finished feeding my dogs and returned to the house tonight. The television was off in the front room, only the red pulsating light of a Lava Lamp and our herb grow light illuminating the room.

As I walked toward the kitchen, I saw the shadow of a woman moving around. I assumed it was Marilyn but it wasn’t. She was in the back bedroom, watching television. I’m a sane person, not prone to wild speculation. Still, I had to wonder if the shadow I saw was of Anne, my deceased wife, or my Mother Mavis, futzing around in the kitchen. Things such as this are easy to explain away – an errant shadow, an unexpected flash of light. Maybe!

My faithful readers will probably remember pictures of my magic moonflowers, their blooms usually beginning to wane this time of year. Marilyn and I haven’t had a single moonflower since my Mother died. Tell me what is the problem, Mom? You know I’ve always been a little dense.

The Autumnal Equinox, the first day of autumn, has passed. It heralds the first day of a season filled with spirits. With winter fast approaching, I wonder how many more spirits I will envision before then.

Gondwana

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...