Sunday, May 23, 2010

Change in the Weather

It’s still officially spring, not yet the end of May but it feels like summer here in central Oklahoma. Temperatures reached into the nineties today, humidity through the roof and my tee shirt soaked by the time I returned from my walk.

This change in the weather didn’t happen gradually. Just last week I was sticking my toe into the pool, wondering if would be warm enough to swim in by Memorial Day. After a long winter, complete with several snowstorms and a blizzard or two, my dogs seem ready for warm weather.

I took my computer outside by the pool. As I type this post, I am sitting outside with my two black pugs, Princess and Scooter. Scooter was intent at first on sitting on my lap. Now he and his big sister are lying by the pool, watching ripples in the water caused by a nice breeze.

It’s almost dark now, only citronella flames from my “Survivor” Tiki torches, a hazy moon partially cloaked by pregnant clouds and my computer screen providing illumination. I wore my flip flops tonight so I’ll soon test the pool water again, this time with more than my toe. It doesn’t really matter because I already know it’s going to be warm enough to swim in by Memorial Day.

Eric'sWeb

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...