Monday, May 31, 2010

Still on the road

Today is Memorial Day and I visited my Dad at the Norman Veteran’s Center. He will be ninety-one in July and the wrath of Alzheimer’s is beginning to take its toll on him. He is in a wheelchair and no longer very responsive, although occasionally he flashes a knowing smile.

When I left him and walked away down the hall, I paused to look at some of the pictures and read some of the plaques. One was the Alzheimer’s Prayer. It was basically a plea to visitors not to give up on the people they came to see just because they may be unresponsive and can’t remember your name. Somewhere deep, they know who you are and are greatful for your visit.

The final sentence was poignant. It said, “Celebrate the ones that have completed their journey, and honor those still on the road.” I will remember those words, and return for those occasional smiles.

Eric'sWeb

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...