Monday, April 26, 2010

Midnight Fox

It’s almost a full moon tonight and my Maine Coon Rouge is sitting on the porch, staring out at the front yard where her cat bowl lies. Every night for the last week or so, a fox has appeared to eat the left-over cat food. I always know because my two big dogs, Patch and Velvet, begin an incensed interlude of energized barking.

The fox is a beautiful creature. He, or she, is a slender animal with russet hair, a big bushy tail and movement as fast and stealthy as a midnight ghost. He, or she, sees me when I approach the open front door. We have a glass storm door. The fox’s eyes seem to scan every direction as it delicately samples the chicken-flavored morsels my finicky cats left behind.

Rouge and Fang watch the alert animal, seemingly unafraid of its presence. He, or she, pays no attention to them, intent only in feasting on the tasty kitty food left in their bowls. Spooked by my presence, it runs away, but returns in moments to finish its meal.

It is almost a full moon tonight. Finally sated, the beautiful fox licks its lips and disappears, once again, into central Oklahoma darkness. I smile, knowing it will return tomorrow night.

Eric'sWeb

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...