Monday, July 27, 2009

Curing the Cat

My good friend Dave Beatty of Livingston, Louisiana sent me this story, and the picture of his cat. No, he doesn’t have a degree in veterinary medicine but he apparently knows how to cure a sick kitty.

Curing the Cat

My cat has allowed me to live with him for the past thirteen years, his whole life. He’s always been a little eccentric but lately he has taken to lying in the dirt tray I put out for the birds to dust themselves.

About a week ago, he got sick and didn’t eat for three days. He looked so puny that I really thought he was about to die. Despite his eccentricity, I really love the cat so to avoid further trauma following his death, I pre-dug a hole for his final resting place in what has become my pet grave yard (several pets from me and my sister reside there).

Maybe he was watching me on his walks around my property (sorry his property), or saw the hole I had dug. Something must have made him think because from the day I dug the hole, he got progressively better.

Now he is eating again and running around like a kitten, well almost. Just in case, I haven’t yet covered up the hole and I turn a few spades of dirt every day when I think he is watching.

He’s not only made a miraculous recovery, he’s also been a pretty good cat lately - except I just can’t keep him out of the bird’s dirt tray.

Fiction South

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...