Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Gazpacho Shots - a recipe

Even growing up in Louisiana I never knew what the “dog days of summer” really meant. Last week temperatures in Oklahoma exceeded all time records – 110 degrees in some parts of the state. The heat and humidity were deadly, several people in Oklahoma succumbing to the weather. Watching my dogs burrow in the loose dirt beneath the shade of a large oak tree, and then lie almost comatose until long after dark has taught me the meaning of the phrase.

When Anne was alive we often spent time in the summer on Cape Cod with my cousin Angela and her then husband Bob. Bob and Angela had just returned from Spain one summer when we were with them at their vacation home on John’s Pond. The weather was hot, even for the Cape, and Angela whipped up a batch of gazpacho.

The cold soup became an instant favorite of mine, although I am rarely lucky enough to find it here in Oklahoma. While wiping perspiration from my brow during the recent spate of hot weather, I remembered the cool treat and began surfing the web for a recipe. I found this one on a site called the Passionate Cook. They recommended adding a splash of vodka. I would like to see that recommendation and add another splash!

Serve these at your next summer party and I guarantee you’ll have everyone begging for more.

Gazpacho Shots

1 stalk celery
1 red pepper (ca. 300 g)
1 yellow pepper (ca. 300 g)
500 g cucumber (peeled)
6 spring onions
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
150 g tomatoes
2 tbsp thick tomato sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
generous dash of Tabasco (to taste)
chopped chives (to decorate, optional)

Work all vegetables in a food processor until very finely chopped. Put in a blender with the liquid ingredients and process until completely smooth. Add water or a very light soup stock until reaching the required consistency. Try decorating the shots with chives, or serve with a slice of cucumber as a stirrer.

Yields 18 shots

Louisiana Mystery Writer

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...