Wednesday, July 22, 2009

True Lit

There are hundreds of wonderful western novels out there. Here is my list in descending order of the 10 best Western novels of all time. If you haven’t read at least a few of these, you are really missing out. They are more than just wonderful western novels, they are True Lit.

10. VIRGINIAN by Owen Wister
9. BIG SKY by Alfred Betram Guthrie, Jr.
8. JUBAL SACKETT by Louis L’Amour
7. LONESOME DOVE by Larry McMurtry
6. RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE by Zane Grey
5. TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE by B. Traven
4. TRUE GRIT by Charles Portis
3. OX-BOW INCIDENT by Walter Van Tilburg Clark
2. LITTLE BIG MAN by Thomas Berger
1. THE MAN WHO KILLED THE DEER by Frank Waters

Fiction South

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...