Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Literary Pets


Princess, my solid black pug is my newest pet and I have a hard time writing sometimes because she constantly demands her rightful place in my lap. Since she is the first pup or kitten that I have had in a while, I had almost forgotten the same insistence all my other pets once exhibited.

Kitties Chani and Hamlet were with me, one of them almost always on my lap, during the months it took for me to write Ghost of a Chance. Likewise Lucky, too big to be a lap dog even though he wanted to be, slept at my feet as I worked on A Gathering of Diamonds, Murder Etouffee and Big Easy, Tabitha or Rouge trading off for time in my lap.

King Tut, Mad Max and my other cats also did their tour of lap duty and I wonder now if I would have ever finished the books without them. As I think back I realize I was never far from a trusted friend as I wrote.

How many other writers have literary pets? I wonder. I’ll have to worry about the answer to that question later because right now my thighs are growing numb and Princess needs a treat.


No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...