Friday, December 4, 2009

Naomi Sees a Ghost

Our accountant Naomi asked me if Anne, my deceased wife, had ever visited me in a dream. She nodded knowingly when I admitted that she had. Today, she told me about the ghost of her father.

Naomi (real name Shuchen) is from Taiwan. “In Taiwan, we believe the ghost of the deceased returns after seven days. This gives closure to both the dead and the living.

“I was in Oklahoma when my father died and did not get to Taiwan for three days. On the seventh day after his death, we spread ashes at the front door. That night, I was sleeping on a tatami bed in my Mother’s room. My Mother was beside me, asleep and snoring, and I was asleep when I heard the bedroom door slide open.

“I was afraid to open my eyes when I heard someone cross the room and stop at the foot of the tatami. I was too frightened to open my eyes, but could sense that someone was looking at me. I wanted to say something but found that I could not speak.

“I had the strong feeling that it was the spirit of my Father, and that he was looking at me because I had not seen him in more than three years. He finally walked away, leaving the bedroom and closing the door behind him.

“My Father had a metal cup that he ate his soup in. From the kitchen, I began hearing the clang, clang, clang of the metal cup struck repeatedly against the table. Finally it stopped.

“Next morning my little brother and sister-in-law said that they had also heard the cup, both thinking it was my Father, but neither brave enough to get up and look. We found my Father’s footprints in the ashes. Yes, they were his.”

Brakes squealed outside as Naomi told her story and she jumped as if shot. That was not all: a strong gust of wind suddenly blew the front door of our office closed with a slam. Outside, the day was calm and beautiful with no wind blowing.

We have all probably seen ghosts, or at least sensed their presences. Even if you have not, yet, I assure you that you will - someday.

Gondwana

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...