Saturday, March 20, 2010

Big Billy's Green Chili Stew

My close friend Big Billy isn’t with us any more but he was a Texas oil man and Dallas restaurateur. Like me, he liked beer and comfort food. Here is a recipe for one of his most comforting dishes. Try it with Dos Equis, Shiner or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (Big Billy’s personal favorite)

Ingredients

• 2 lbs. pork
• 2 tsp. salt
• 2 Tbsp. oil
• 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
• ½ cup onion, diced
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
• 6-8 fresh roasted green chili peppers (skinned and deseeded) chopped
• 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated

Directions

Cube meat, sprinkle with salt and fry until brown in oil. Add potatoes to browned meat together with onion, garlic, salt, chili peppers and enough water to cover. Simmer for 1 ½ hours or until potatoes are tender. Serve with cheddar cheese and tortillas on the side.

Eric'sWeb

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...