Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Lab That Was Afraid of Water

One of my business associates called today. During the course of the conversation, he told me sadly about the passing of his fourteen-year-old dog. The eighty-two year old man, obviously heartbroken over the loss of his long time friend, had gotten a new pup.

“Everyone needs a dog, someone to talk to and to play with,” he said.

With me, he was preaching to the choir. I have four dogs and my conscience is always filled with guilt because I cannot spend an hour or so a day with every one of them. Lucky, my Labrador retriever, died last fall at the age of twelve. Like every person and every animal I have ever known, he had a unique personality.

Labradors are supposed to like water. Not Lucky. Every attempt I have ever made to get him into my swimming pool failed. When he was a pup, several of my friends tried as well. Maybe that is the problem. Perhaps they frightened him, imparting him with a permanent swimming phobia. In contrast, my rottweiler Chuckie loved the pool and got into it every chance he got.

My friend Don raises and trains labs. “I will bring a duck over. If your dog is a natural retriever, we’ll know it immediately.”

Lucky and my Gordon setter Slick took to the duck, taking turns carrying it in their mouths until I finally took it away from them and threw it away. Neither duck dog ever hunted a day in their lives but at least I knew that they could if I ever needed them to.

Slick, by the way, would not get into the pool either. I am not a hunter but if I were, I guess that I would have had to take them duck hunting on dry land.

Eric'sWeb

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...