Sunday, March 21, 2010

What a Difference a Day Makes











What a difference a day makes. Driving home from work Friday, the thermometer in my Chevy registered seventy-three degrees. I watched the weather before turning in last night so I wasn’t surprised when I awoke this morning to high winds and blowing snow, all on the first day of spring.

The fourth major storm that struck Oklahoma this year wasn’t quite as severe as predicted. While seven inches fell in parts of the state, the Oklahoma City Metro received only two and a half inches. Although unhappy with the gloomy day, high winds and cold weather, I wasn’t disappointed that we didn’t break the all-time record for Oklahoma set in 1947, falling short by a mere two inches.

The weather could have bothered me much more, but didn’t because college basketball is in the midst of March Madness. The snow allowed me to stay inside and watch the games without feeling guilty. At the beginning of the day, Kansas was the highest seed in the tournament and considered the team to beat. Northern Iowa had other ideas.

I, along with possibly ninety percent of the viewers watched in amazement as the number one team went down in defeat. Yesterday they were number one, today they are one and done. Yes, this has been a snowy winter throughout the Midwest, but spring is finally here; sixty-degree weather is predicted for Monday. My, March madness and what a difference a day makes.

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...