Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Winter Texans











I left early last Friday for a trip south to Padre Island in Texas. The road trip there lasted almost thirteen hours. Carl, Jerry, Ray and I spent several hours Friday night, once we arrived, at an establishment called Tom and Jerry’s. Jerry was our host, and it was a wonderful beginning for an odyssey of the mind.

Jerry, Carl, Ray and I traveled south, attempting to raise money for our new project. Thanks to friend Tom, longtime resident of the island, we met many of the locals. All I can say is wow!
The island is beautiful, as is neighboring Port Isabel. Before Friday, I didn’t know what a “winter Texan” is. Now I do, and I somewhat understand the psyche of the northern multitudes, migrating south for a few months. I quickly learned that winter Texans are wonderful people, not a whit different than I, except where they live for most of the year in northern climes.

I met lots of wonderful people: Tommy, Sherri, Tom, Jerry, Chris, Ran, Ed and Mary Jane, just to name a few. We also met George and Rob from Oklahoma City. Will I return? Yes, and I can’t wait.

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...