Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring in Oklahoma

The first day of spring was Saturday, coinciding with the vernal equinox, the day when the hours of darkness roughly equal the hours of daylight. The weather was snowy Saturday but mild here now, warm during the day and chilly at night.

All the trees are abloom, as are the perennial flowers. The robins, cardinals and blue jays have returned but not my three ducks from past seasons. The squirrels never left, but they are already out in force, doing their best to eat all the seeds Marilyn puts out every day for the birds.

The season reminds me of a quote from the great Charles Dickens. I don’t know if he ever spent time in Oklahoma and it is hard for me to believe that it if he did, that it did not come from days spent near what is now the historic course of Route 66.

“It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold, when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.”

Eric'sWeb

No comments:

Alcoholic Hazes - a short story

Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans in August 2005. My Louisiana parents were living with my wife Marilyn and me in Oklahoma. My mom had...